TomTrek is about exploring.
This planet is full of scenic vistas, quirky towns, and interesting people. You’ll find them here.
After 32 years of office work, including 14 years teaching college classes, it is time for a sabbatical. That means grab a camera and go!
Experts say happiness is found by collecting experiences, not things. So Tom moved out of his home, put everything in storage and set off in search of experiences. The first trek involves paddling a canoe down the Mississippi River, followed by car-camping through the American Southwest. He has virtually no experience at this, he’s just an everyman willing to plunge in and share the glory (and mishaps) here. As he puts it: “My goal is for you to feel like you are traveling alongside me, but I’m the one getting mosquito bites.”
It begins May, 2015, paddling with Dale and Richard. Home will be where he rests his head at night, with travel by: canoe, mountainbike, motorbike, foot, SUV, camper van, and whatever else sounds interesting.
To ride along, subscribe to the blog or friend Tom on Facebook. To subscribe, scroll down to the bottom right corner of this page and enter your email address into the subscription window. You will receive emails notifying you of new posts.
To-Do list for 2015-2016:
- Paddle the Mississippi River.
- Harvest grapes at a vineyard
- Drive the Pacific Coast Highway
- Climb 14ers in Colorado.
- Motorcycle parts of the Continental Divide Trail
- Visit the 13 Strangest Places in Colorado
- Ride epic singletrack.
- Explore Utah and the 12 Coolest Towns in AZ
- Bunk a night in a Fire Lookout, climb Wheeler Peak
- Motorbike part of the Trans America Trail – the TAT
- Camp at Chaco Canyon, volunteer at Arcosanti
- Explore Marfa, Silver City and Grand Junction
- Mountain bike Lake Tahoe.
- Hug Redwoods and Sequoias
- Crater Lake, Craters of the Moon, Tetons, Badlands
- Buy a Campervan. Explore the Back roads
- Go Now, Life is Short.